Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Day Trips from Gainesville, Part 2

Now that you've had a good meal and gotten some shopping done, head out to any of the following areas to make the most of your day trip to the Bell area. North Central Florida abounds in natural springs and pristine wilderness areas.

In Bell you'll find Hart Springs. This recreation area has one of the largest swimming facilities in the area and has a half mile of boardwalk through the pristine cypress hammock surrounding the springs so you can wander and check out the natural surroundings.

In Trenton visit Otter Springs, a 636-acre park and campground. Otter Springs has a constant temperature of 73 degrees and a daily flow of 10 million gallons of pure spring water.

High Springs boasts Blue Springs and Ginnie Springs. Blue Springs has crystal clear water and a 1500 ft. boardwalk leading out to the Santa Fe River. Ginnie Springs is a park built around a system of seven springs. An extensive underwater cavern makes it a must-see destination for serious scuba divers. I learned to snorkel in Ginnie Springs.

I have to tell a story here: I spent a summer afternoon cooling off in Blue Springs and figured I swim away from the crowd to get a closer look at the flora and fauna surrounding the spring. I was having a great old time when I looked down and saw swimming below me a snake. I hovered over the snake for a few seconds fascinated that a snake can swim that deep in the water. The snake seemed to look up at me, but wasn't bothered in the least. He just kept right on swimming among the grasses on the bottom of the spring. Unfortunately, that little voice in my head kicked in and shouted, "SNAKE!" Too bad. I'm sure I scared that poor critter to death when I churned up the water flailing my arms and kicking like a madwoman to get back to the crowd. Folks, it's Florida nature at its best.

An absolute must-do is to go tubing down the Ichetucknee River. Located in Fort White just outside High Springs, the Ichetucknee flows six miles through shaded hammocks and wetlands before it joins the Santa Fe River. Cave-certified diving is open October through March in the Blue Hole. Tubing is so easy in this park. Grab some friends, rent your tubes, hook your arms and/or legs through each others' tubes, and float down the river. When you reach the end point, a truck picks up you and your tube and returns you to the starting point. The water is unbelievably clear and COLD so June, July, and August are the best months to enjoy this refreshing park.

I have to share another story here: In college I went with some friends, both male and female, to the Ichetucknee. We rented our tubes and stopped by Blue Hole to swim before we started down the river. Well, I had on a two-piece string bikini that had seen better days. Not thinking, I dove into the crystal clear water of the Blue Hole and my top and bottom slid down, uncovering my most precious parts. Those boys' eyes popped right out of their heads. Yep, nature at its best.

Next time we'll take a look at the Suwannee River and Cedar Key . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment