Sunday, March 28, 2010

Azaleas Create Southern Charm in Gainesville

Spring has sprung in Gainesville, and when the azaleas come into bloom, life here for me turns nostalgic. I've been here a long time, and, for some reason, when the azaleas come into bloom, I take the time to reminisce about how I came to live in such a lovely, Southern town.

I first came to Gainesville when I visited my eldest sister for a week during the summer of 1974. She was a student at the University of Florida, and she and her roommate graciously allowed me to sleep on the couch of their loft apartment located behind Norman Hall. Those were the days of the Subterranean Circus and Leonardo's veggie on whole wheat when the only Leonardo's Pizza in town was located at 706 University Ave. That pizza was so thick with veggies and cheese that one slice was all it took to fill me up, and being a fast-growing teenager, I was a big eater back then.

My next foray into the Tree City was when I visited my other sister who attended college here in the late 70's. I visited her alot, and got to know the university pretty well, but I never really ventured beyond campus.

Following in my sisters' footsteps, I came to Gainesville as a college student in 1981. That's when I began to notice how beautiful this town really is. Named a Tree City, Gainesville abounds with lush vegetation that keeps it green year around; however, it's in springtime that this town shows her heritage.

The first hints of spring are seen with the blooming of the Japanese magnolia trees, dogwoods, and red buds. And then come the azaleas. For me, when the azaleas come into bloom, Gainesville turns from being a fast-paced, college town into a southern town with charm and a slower pace that reveals its Southern roots (excuse the pun.)

Azaleas are everywhere. Drive along any thoroughfare or side street and there they are blooming in shades of pink, purple, white, and, occasionally, salmon. Head east on Williston Road and just before you reach 13th Street you'll find on your right an old oak tree completely surrounded by huge, blooming azaleas. Head into the Duck Pond area where it seems every house is surrounded by clouds of pink and purple. Take any road on the east side of town and you'll find old azalea bushes gloriously blooming next to house corners and fences. Drive the speed limit along SW 91st Street between SW 24th and Newberry Road and you can't help but notice the azaleas lining the road.

It's all so charming and beautiful and Southern.

No comments:

Post a Comment